Canterbury Earthquake - Checklist
From recent visits to Christchurch by Brian Finlayson, the Association’s Southern and Central Regional Manager, the following issues were identified as the main concerns for our Canterbury member retailers following the earthquake:
• If you have not already done so, contact the Earthquake Commission (EQC) to lodge a claim for any damages and loss of stock etc. To make a claim phone EQC on 0800 326 243, or you lodge a claim online at https://cms.eqc.co.nz/claimcenter/cms/public/fnol.form.
• You also need to contact your insurer. Where you have a broker you need to ask them what your insurance policy covers you for.
• Are you covered for disruption of business and Income Protection? You typically only have twelve weeks to do this; you need to do this as soon as possible.
• If your building has been condemned or you cannot trade for any particular reason, contact your lawyer for a full explanation of the lease.
• Discuss with your solicitor what action you need to take to either cancel the lease or discuss with the landlord any possible variation because of restrictions that impact on your ability to trade. For advice on this process members can phone the Association’s Property and Lease Advisor, John Starr, via the freephone 0800 472 472.
• Contact the IRD if you may have difficulty filing a return or making a payment. Their helpline number for this purpose is 0800 227 771. For general IRD assistance following the earthquake phone 0800 779 997, or visit their website at www.ird.govt.nz/earthquake/canterbury-quake-index.html?id=homepage. If you would like to speak directly to someone, call Merv Jacques on Christchurch (03) 968 0403. He will be able to advise you even in your own personal situation.
• If you are expecting a GST refund and need it urgently, phone 0800 473 566.
• Counselling and support is available to people affected by the Canterbury quake. A Government 0800 number has been set up for people to ring if they require some form of counselling support. The number is: Right Service Right Time: 0800 777 846.
• Alternatively, you may like to contact Lindy Elliot. Lindy is a psychotherapist who will be able to assist you or recommend a person suitable for your requirements.
R.N. Dip G Psych, PBANZ
Counselling and Psychotherapy
137 Cambridge Tce
Ph 021 02600968
New Zealand Retailers Association
We are your Association. We are here to help you, whatever the query, so please phone us on 0800 472 472. Press option 3 for your Regional Office or option 1 for the Advisors at National Office. We are here to assist you.
Further information and links
For Environment Canterbury’s website, see http://canterburyearthquake.org.nz/.